Thursday, February 18, 2010

Running Into Retirement

Running into Retirement
Lately I've had many thoughts about this whole retirement process. I decided to start writing about what I've been feeling and experiencing. Since many of my closest friends are still working full throttle and full time, I thought writing about the next chapter in life from my perspective and sharing a few insights, might be interesting to some who are considering a major life change within the next decade.

I went to a New York State Teachers' Retirement Seminar in March of 2008 to begin to collect information and ideas about what might happen when I finally decided to leave teaching. At that point I had no plans to stop working, at least not for five years. What I remember from that day was advice about not changing everything in your life immediately after you retire. You shouldn't pick-up and move away from your friends. You should keep some of your routines the same at least for the first several years. People do well in retirement by staying near their networks, their friends and family if possible. They have time to act on life long interests and passions. They give time to worthy causes. They volunteer. They may work part-time. They spend more time with family. They keep active mentally. Those are the "sound bites" I remember from that day long seminar. It all made good sense.

But what happens when your circumstances cause you to run full speed ahead into retirement? I found out in December we would be moving 3,000 miles across the country. My husband needed to begin work July 1st. I continued all my professional obligations and even taught a summer school class up until 3 days before the moving van came. I had worked full time, teaching children and college students since 1971 with only a 5 month hiatus when I had my first child. There was no prolonged mental preparation for the shift that was about to happen in my life. My husband would begin a new academic position (more of the same for him with different players) but I would "retire". What does that mean? How do you "retire"? From what do we retire? To where? For how long? I would discover many different meanings for the word retire. I had officially written my letter of intent to "retire". I legally "retired" by filling out all the paperwork with the state. I "retired" from my office space by giving many things away and clearing out file drawers. But in the last few weeks before the move there were far too many details to attend to, loose ends to tie up, and no time to comprehend the emotional impact of retiring from all the beautiful friends and people I had come to know, and to whom I was now hurriedly and unconsciously saying good-bye. I think I stayed only moderately sane by pretending I'd see everyone again soon. That is what I do when loss threatens to unravel me ......I pretend.

At 7:30 AM on June 30th, 2009, I got into the car in Buffalo New York and we (husband and dog) headed for Davis California. The sky was thunderously gray, dark, dreary, ominous and threatening. It began to rain hard, thunder, and lightening. We drove in silence. We left New York and entered Pennsylvania and somewhere on the highway near Warren Pennsylvania, the crack in my damn gave away. My husband pulled into a rest stop because I was out of control with wailing sounds and physically racking sobs. It poured both outside and inside the car. So many intense emotions had been stuffed down, tucked away, unexpressed....with no time given to feel the sadness or acknowledge the enormous changes that were underway. I left the car and walked, very slowly, in the pouring rain, to the bathroom. I didn't care who saw my crying face. I didn't care what they thought or imagined. I didn't care if I stayed in the restroom for hours! I was "retiring" from the life I had known for 38 years and I had no idea about what kind of life I could create or who I would encounter. What I knew was it felt great to give in to this intense sadness, to break apart the stoic automatic life of movement and detailed action I'd been living for the last few months. It felt great to wash my hot face with cold water and to look into the mirror and see tenderness returning to my eyes. After 30 minutes of uncontrollable sobbing, I did not care about what would come next. After years of running my life with checklists, endless planning, keeping on a schedule, meeting deadlines, planning a year in advance, setting and accomplishing goals, it was over. I was, at this moment, living in it! I remember smiling into the mirror and watched the concerned look of the woman next to me melt away. I "retired" back to our car and the journey continued.

5 comments:

  1. Wow... what an amazing, emotional and breathtaking story. I'm so glad you shared all this, too. Now I know how and why you got to Davis, but had no idea how it all came about so suddenly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marion for writing this. You know, we, who were left behind, also went through a similar experience. There was so much you were doing and we all had a part in saying our good byes but the reality of you going came after. There are still days when I think I'll just stop over before I remember that the trip is a bit longer now. Keep writing girl friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... and so the journey evolves ... and we read and experience what will be for us soon ... through your eyes.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is quite a transformation on the other side, even without all the upheaval associated with your retirement. There is a floating quality about it all which is so, well, buoyant. Ed and I have been passing in and out of retirement for almost 5 years. The time just flies. One gets a comeuppance at some point when realizing that no matter how much time there is, it's never enough. So, so many things to do and see, so many goals to achieve. Then there is the joyous float. How to choose? We are also adjusting to you and George being in California, Patty and Mark in Rhode Island, Bill and Tina spending more and more time in Maine, our friend Bob in very precarious health, Fran talking about moving, kids unsetlled. It's quite a time and we are so grateful to have it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally,Marion,I slowed down enough to sit down and read your amazing writing about slowing down. My slowing down is just for the moment cause I came downstairs to put out the bag of used closed for Veterans for America - as you did in your new garage.
    It's quite interesting to read your writing in the midst of all that you said you did for so many years. I actually avoided reading it cause it was tough to want to read about the process of slowing down and of creating a new life. That's probably why I don't want to retire, just not wanting to deal with that process yet. So glad I did finally read your blog.
    Where are the newer blogs, or did you get too busy to write them????

    ReplyDelete